Postcards of the Wiener Werkstätte: Selections from the Leonard A. Lauder Collection
This fall, the Neue Galerie New York presents the first major museum exhibition ever held in the United States devoted exclusively to the postcards produced by the Wiener Werkstätte. The show is drawn exclusively from The Leonard A. Lauder Collection and coincides with the gift to the Neue Galerie of nearly 1,000 postcards produced by the firm during the period 1907-1920.
The Wiener Werkstätte, or Vienna Workshops, was founded in 1903 by architect Josef Hoffmann and designer Koloman Moser. Beginning in 1907, the Wiener Werkstätte began publishing a numbered series of postcards. All of the major designers who worked for the firm were contributors in this medium. Collectively, the postcards represent an important element in the overall program of the Wiener Werkstätte.
A fully illustrated catalogue raisonné, published by Hatje Cantz, will accompany the exhibition. It will be the first catalogue raisonné on Wiener Werkstätte postcards to appear in English. The exhibition is organized by distinguished decorative arts curator Christian Witt-Dörring.